Sunday 7 September 2014

Post #5: Experiment #1 - Acidus vs Azoth

As Miss Med suggested, I decided to mix Azoth and Acidus together, but before I could do that, I went through my journal very quickly, to see if I had already done that. Apparently I did, but just in case, I did it again, to see if the reaction would be the same since the last time I did it.

Don't expect a big analysis here, I'm only going to be describing on what the reaction between the two liquids was.

I had to construct a plastic box, with a glass top so that Acidus wouldn't be able to burn through it and at the same time, I could see what was happening. After I finished constructing the box, I got dressed in my rubber suit, then I cut off a decent chunk of Azoth and put it inside the box.

Note: Azoth isn't too active in small bits.

Then I took the plastic canister, where Acidus was and poured a small bit of it directly on top of Azoth and covered the plastic box with a glass top immediately.

The process began immediately when Acidus came into contact with Azoth. Exactly what I expected happened, Acidus was burning through Azoth with ease, Azoth was constantly bubbling up and dissolving into thin air, after about 3-4 minutes there was nothing in the box but Acidus. Nothing remained of Azoth, it was like it was never in that box.

That's when I thought that the experiment was over, but to my surprise, it wasn't.

2 minutes after the experiment, Acidus started emitting smoke, I assumed that it was trying to burn through the plastic, but I still decided to observe. Good thing I did, a few seconds later, Acidus caught fire, purple fire to be precise. This is where the understandings of chemistry fail me:

First of; In order to produce purple fire, you need a mixture of Butane, Potassium Chloride and Strontium Nitrate (Most common way I'm aware of). None of those seem to be located in Azoth, or Acidus.

Second; I have never seen, or heard of Hydrofluoric Acid actually burning on fire.

Acidus burning through Azoth is logical, Hydrofluoric Acid can burn through Metal, it makes sense. But Hydrofluoric Acid catching purple fire after having contact with metal, doesn't make sense.

But the experiment wasn't over just yet. It took the fire about 10 minutes to reduce Acidus to nothing but ashes. I tried to inspect the ashes with my microscope, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

This is honestly the biggest reason why I went with the experiment, even though I already did it before. I didn't believe what my past self wrote to me, but now that I've seen it myself, I don't doubt my previous recordings.

28 comments:

  1. 'Azoth isn't too active in small bits'. Have you tried having Azoth in small grains, but kept together? like a mound of Azoth 'sand'. Might help to see how it interacts with itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god NO NO NO do NOT do that!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Why not? It's gotta be interesting.

      Delete
    3. With the amount of caution they're exercising it should be fairly safe. I doubt they'd grind some azoth barehanded in a pestle and mortar.

      Delete
    4. The "sand" would probably try and clump into a larger aggregate, but it might be possible to prevent this.

      Delete
  2. I'm scared, really scared that some of you would consider this. If you have a small amount of azoth? Fine. But storing a large amount as a powder is absolutely no NO NO.

    Substances that aren't reactive can be deadly and explosive in a sand or fine powder. Flour being the classic example, explosions at flour factories and things are not uncommon.

    Please, please, please, Ghost, I'm really panicking, I never have any sway over what people do but please don't do that.

    Fucking hell. I'm sorry. I'm really on edge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *substances that aren't very reactive, I mean.

      The exposed surface area plays a bigger role in those explosions than the actual volatility. Hence why gunpowder is a powder.

      Delete
    2. Azoth would be dangerous as a powder. It's also dangerous in solid lumps, or on the Path, or in somebody's blood. But sooner or later, there's going to be someone mad enough to try to weaponize it. If I was trying it, I'd look into making it a gas or powder, get it in people's systems. To deal with that when someone tries it, we need to have some idea of how it would behave. who do you think is best suited to the task?

      Delete
    3. A munitions expert on a site for the express purpose of testing weapons.

      Delete
    4. Good idea. Shame we'd have to tell them about Azoth and all the rest. we have to work with what we have, and that means taking risks, making gambles and sometimes, fucking up and seeing friends die because I was too stupid to see it coming.

      Delete
    5. Because explaining all of 'this' to them would be a smart idea. We would benefit from the knowledge. Besides, Azoth can be volatile in most forms, as long as Ghost was smart about it survival is likely.

      Delete
    6. When did I say we wouldn't benefit from knowledge? When did I discourage experimentation? I didn't. I just said, don't store all your azoth in a powder.

      If azoth is volatile in most forms, then increasing the surface area is an even worse idea still. Reaction happens to the exposed elements. So the more exposed elements there are, the more explosive the reaction.

      Even if azoth were less reactive in tiny pieces, it'd still be very dangerous.

      Delete
    7. What I'm saying is: knowledge is beneficial. A dead Ghost IS NOT BENEFICIAL.

      Delete
    8. I'm sure Ghost is smart enough to be careful with the experiment.

      Delete
    9. Not experiment, I'm referring to any situation in which a large amount of azoth powder would be together.

      Delete
    10. There's no other to find out what would happen, though, is there? In the end it is Ghost's choice to continue. And like Lovett pointed out, others will be likely to try this eventually.

      Delete
    11. A small amount would be fine, as I stated.

      Please listen to what I am saying. I am on edge anyway because of email threats, but I don't freak out just for the fun of it.

      Delete
    12. Chances are, I might have already attempted this, first I'm going to surf through my journal, otherwise, an interesting idea.

      Delete
  3. Hey Sanna, what do you mean 'email threats'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyrylo Soldatov. That's what I mean.

      Delete
    2. that's a spot of luck; I know a bunch of people who'll pay for email addresses.

      Delete
    3. Doesn't matter who you know.

      Delete
    4. maybe, but if he's getting a dozen scams and spam emails for every threat he sends to you, it's a start.

      Delete
    5. Judging by the email address, I don't think it's his personal email. It makes specific reference to what happened to me.

      Delete
    6. Damn.

      I may have a solution, but I'd rather not send it publically, be with you in a sec.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You may, but no promises I will do it, I got a lot of things to go through.

      Delete
  5. could you see if a proxy bleeds like us, or see if there is something different about him that we do not know, i'm not talking torture, but something along the lines of lobotomy and dissecting the anatomy of a human, along with other forms of experimenting on it, you see i hope to find out what makes these hollow and proxies tick and live, you do not have to take my request, and i may sound like a madman like robert sage, but i would like to see what happens Mr. Ghost

    ReplyDelete